Tucson summers can get extremely hot. When temperatures start to rise to 90 or even 100°F, air conditioning (AC) is essential to keep you and your family comfortable. Your AC unit needs to be running efficiently during the hottest months. To guarantee optimal performance you should be staying on top of preventive maintenance throughout the year and not only when you need repair.
It’s important to understand how often you should schedule maintenance and service for your home’s air conditioning.
Yearly Service for Your AC Unit
Many homeowners neglect to schedule regular service for their air conditioning systems. However, preventive maintenance is much easier than you may think. You only need to schedule a checkup for your air conditioning once every year. A checkup in spring (March-June) will ensure that everything is running smoothly and efficiently. This way you know your AC unit is ready to handle the summer heat.
During this appointment, your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) technician will inspect every aspect of your AC unit to ensure that everything is working properly. They will look for wear and tear on any parts. This allows the technician to catch problems before they start to affect your whole system. If anything needs to be replaced, your technician will let you know and will go over your options for repair. This helps you avoid the costly replacement of the entire unit.
When to Call for AC Unit Repair
Even when you perform the necessary maintenance, air conditioning malfunctions can still occur. If your AC unit isn’t working, you may need to call for AC repair. There are different ways you may notice that your air conditioning system needs attention:
- Blowing Warm Air Instead of Cold Air: When your air conditioner is blowing warm air, it may be an issue with the thermostat or with the AC unit itself.
- Not Blowing Air /Low Airflow: If your air conditioning is not blowing any air or is circulating very little air, something may be blocked and your unit may need repair.
- Unpleasant Odors: This can be a sign of coolant leaks or microbial growth due to dirty filters or ducts that need to be cleaned or replaced.
- Water Leaking from Your AC Unit: Water or other liquid leaking from your unit is never a good sign and you need to fix it as soon as possible.
- Strange Noises: While your AC unit may make some noise as it starts, any loud rattling, banging, or whirring noises can indicate a problem with the system.
When in doubt, it always helps to call an HVAC professional. Our team of technicians at Signature Heating and Cooling can help you determine what type of AC repair that you need. We also offer 24/7 service for emergencies.
The Importance of Air Conditioning Maintenance
You may be tempted to put off or ignore air conditioning maintenance. However, the effort to schedule a service appointment is minimal compared to the stress if something suddenly goes wrong with your AC unit during the middle of the hot Tucson summer.
Regular service can also have benefits for your energy bill. Studies show that every year that you skip routine maintenance, your AC unit drops 5% in operating and energy efficiency. Service helps your air conditioning stay running for a longer period of time so you don’t have to spend money on installing a new system.
Signature Heating and Cooling
Repair, Installation, and Maintenance for your AC Unit
Signature Heating and Cooling can help you maintain your AC unit. We offer regular air conditioning maintenance to keep your system running the best it can.